Technology never stands still, and neither does education so by proxy neither does any teacher worth their salt.
Through this blog I've enjoyed exploring new ideas, building projects, experimenting with technology and sharing what I've learned along the way. Sometimes those projects have been built with Raspberry Pi, micro:bit, LEGO or Minecraft. Today, many of those experiments involve AI.
This isn't a blog about AI.
It's a blog about curiosity.
Whenever a new technology appears, I'm less interested in the headlines and more interested in the practical questions:
Can it actually do this?
Can it save time?
Can it improve learning?
Is it worth using?
Or is it just another shiny new tool?
Rather than making bold claims, I'd rather find out for myself.
Current Experiments
Over the coming months I'll be putting generative AI through a series of real-world classroom experiments.
Each experiment starts with a genuine question, follows the same simple format and ends with an honest conclusion.
For every experiment I'll share:
- The question – What am I trying to find out?
- The experiment – What did I ask AI to do?
- The result – What did it actually produce?
- What I changed – What needed improving and why?
- What I learned – Would I use it again, and what advice would I give to others?
The aim isn't to prove that AI is brilliant or that it's terrible.
The aim is to work out where it genuinely adds value—and where professional judgement still matters.
Planned Experiments
The first series of experiments will include:
- Can AI create effective retrieval quizzes? click here to view
- Can AI generate meaningful cold-calling questions?
- Can AI write worksheets I'd actually use?
- Can AI produce engaging PowerPoint presentations?
- Can AI create images that genuinely improve explanations?
- Can AI sequence a Scheme of Learning?
Some experiments will be successful.
Some won't.
I'll share both.
Because I think we learn just as much from the things that don't work as the ones that do.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope these experiments help you discover something useful, challenge a few assumptions and perhaps be helpful.
See you in the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment